Hey there guys, exciting things are happening at Blizzcon but that’s fairly normal! What’s so exciting this year is that Blizzard announced the new expansion for World of Warcraft yesterday. Rumours have been surfacing about the new expansion for months now and turns out some of those were actually right. The new expansion is called Mists of Pandaria.
Anyone familiar with World of Warcraft knows of Pandaren, a mystical race with only a few obscure references in WoW lore. The expansion, Mists of Pandaria, is set in Pandaria a realm inspired by several Asian cultures.
Pandaria will feature:
- 5 New leveling zones to explore
- Single, unified continent
- Influenced by Asian landscapes
- AH, Bank, and Central Questing Hub
- There’s 5 leveling zones but they are very large zones, and you won’t have your flying mount
Naturally, there will be a new playable race, in this case the Pandaren. They’re basically big ass panda’s that know Kung Fu. That’s very boldly stated, but that’s the jist of it. Only one new race you ask? Well, that’s the interesting part: All Pandaren start as neutral, and at level 10 you choose for Horde or Alliance.
Pandaren racials are listed below:
- Bouncy: reduces fall damage by half.
- Inner peace: double rested XP.
- Gourmand: +15 to cooking.
- Epicurean: double stats to food buffs
Pandaren will have Hunter, Mage, Monk, Priest, Rogue, Shaman and Warrior as playable classes. Apparently, they can’t be Death Knights which would make sense since there’s no Lich King around to actually make Death Knights.
The next big thing is the new playable class. Blizzard is going to implement a ‘Monk’ class, a very melee based class that starts at level 1 and as such is NOT a hero class like a Death Knight. Below are the features for the Monk class.
- Brewmaster – Tank spec
- Mistweaver – Healer, a healer who can stand up in melee and will let players experience a “new healing style”
- Windwalker – Melee DPS
- The class is very martial-arts based
- Lots of monk-only animations, the healer and tanks will have different stances they can stand in, etc …
- Monk Races – All of them except Goblin and Worgens
Some other features of the expansion are:
- Level cap raised to 90
- New class: Monk
- New race: Pandarens
- Pve Scenarios
- Pet Battle System (Pokemonnn!)
- New Talents
- New continent
- Challenge Mode Dungeons
Looks like there’s going to be quite a lot of changes to several systems and features as well, I’m not going to list all of the here but I’ll add the ones that I think are most important.
- Spell books cleaned up, got rid of more junk, the goal is to clean up action bars a little more without removing the fun things.
- Rotations will be improved
- Spells will be automatically learned, you won’t have to go to your trainer anymore.
- You will get a new spell at level 87, level 90 new talent point.
- Talent trees should be fun, and you should have more choice than just a cookie cutter build.
- There is no new central villain, the story will focus on the war between Horde and Alliance
- Hunter minimum range is gone! (Shooting a gun from point blank range? Nice!)
- Hunter melee weapon is gone!
- Ranged slot for all other characters are gone.
- Relics are gone.
- Rogues and warriors can now throw their melee weapon
- Wands become main hand weapons (no more statsticks)
- 3 New epic raids
- They will feature two enemy races, the Mogu and the Mantid.
- Raid Finder, Normal, and Heroic difficulties will be available for all raids from day 1.
- World raid bosses will return!
- Increased focus on max level content, it will reward you with Valor Points
- More quest choices, and a lot less linear
- No flying until max level, it’s much easier to keep people on the ground and create interesting quests when you know people won’t just fly away and drop on the boss.
- 9 new dungeons in the new expansion
- 6 dungeons will be on Pandaria
- Scholomance and Scarlet Monastery (Wings 1 and 2) will be back in Heroic Mode
So, what do you think? Excited or not? I’m not sure myself, Pandaren don’t seem very interesting to me from a lore perspective and I reckon we’ve almost exhausted most of the central villains in WoW so there won’t be a new one. The focus on the war between Horde and Alliance sounds interesting, but there won’t be a winning side in this conflict as it would have tremendous consequences. The only thing that really interests me is the new Monk class, as a healer myself I’m very interested in this new ‘melee healer’ style. Still, to me it seems like they’re wanting to stretch their game out for a bit longer. Guess we’ll have to wait and see until new information trickles down from the throne of Chris Metzen.
Watch the trailer for the expansion below and if you want more info you can visit the official website.
PS: The Pandaren starting zone is a giant turtle …